Wednesday, January 4, 2012

what's all this about Uganda?

Well as you all know I will be leaving next thursday Jan 12th for Kampala,Uganda.  Since I was young I knew I always wanted to do a mission trip to some other country and touch others lifes who are less fortunate.  When I was an intern at my work, Dr. Richmond, Tami, and Jenny had just gotten back from thier first trip there.  I thought it was incredible what they had done, and I knew that I definately would want to do that.  I have been telling Dr. Richmond for the past few years that I would love the opportunity to join with the team and go with her.  Finally my dream is comming true.  At first I wasn't sure if I could make it happen after the challenges I faced this last year, but after a lot of prayer and talking it through with people I decided that tis couldn't be a more perfect time.   After being in a coma for a week in highschool and over comming all of the challenges that followed, to breaking my neck this past year and overcomming those challenges; I know better then a lot of people not to take life for granted and to cherish every moment and make the best out of every possible situation.  With the positivity still flowing through me and the enormous support from my family and friends I knew I could make this mission of a lifetime possible.  
 A very special thank you to my MOM who put in a lot of time and effort in helping to raise money to make this trip possible for myself and others.  I know you are not too crazy about me leaving the country and will be a nervous wreck the entire time I am gone, but again thank you so much for all of your love and support for this trip.

Some people have asked.....why would you want to go to Uganda and help children when there are so many people here to help?  My answer is this.........I have volunteered at Give Kids A Smile Day (free dental care for children in need) for the past 6 years, I have volunteered a few times at the Union Gospel Mission (providing free dental care for adults in need), and I have volunteered for many children's events and charities throughout the years here.  I love to travel and experience new things.  This is just my way of seeing life in another country and being able to help children in need while I am doing it.  Why Not?  I know that this is just going to be another amazing, eye opening experience for me. 

Next Entry:  An overview of what will be going on while I am there.

No comments:

Post a Comment